Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Hmmm...My first blog for the New Year.

"I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork."
- Peter De Vries

I've been auspiciously declaring that I was going to start a blog and after menial attempts I finally did it. The quote above rings more than a few bells for me. I have so much to say and no motivation to write it down. But I've finally found it. So many things have happened to me this year and in so many before, that it seems irresponsible not to keep some sort of memory library, chocked full of all the tidbits that the digital camera and Facebook didn't capture. After college, my own built-in memory has begun failing me and I'm sure I'm way past warranty.

So what to blog about? Well let's start with the present:

There are about 8 hours left in 2008 at this point and I can't say I'm sad to see them go. It's been a rough year. If you ask me, the past 3 have increased in melodramatic irony. Rather than dwell on the travesties, I turn and look the other way, onward to a hopeful future.

This New Year's Eve, the one thing I've heard more than anything else, is how much everyone is looking forward to a "NEW" year, not just New Year's. I feel this current flowing beneath the subconscious of our entire world. We all want a new year, a new beginning, a new direction. Regardless of politics or world events, I think the proverbial man has enough of the current state of affairs in his or her own individual lives and new year and another chance is in every one's mind.

More than that, for the first time I really feel like people are willing to work for that new year. People are willing to work to change their lives, their directions, and their minds. They are willing to strive for what they want. Frivolity and pettiness are being tossed to the wind for initiative and integrity.

It's long overdue and duly welcome. Most importantly, with these new ideas comes new attitudes. I've always said that perception is 100% of the game and when we change our minds, we change our focus thereby altering our directions in life, destiny, and the whole shebang.

Personally, I've taken to the change of attitude mantra. In the past, I've had a tendency to focus on what went wrong and the bad, instead of appreciating each experience for what I've learned. Believe me, I've made curtains and furniture covers out of what went wrong and what's bad. And you know what? I'm not doing it anymore.

In this life you get one shot and you don't get anywhere wishing you had a "do-over", when you mess up. You pick up the pieces and you move forward, looking positively forward, not looking back. If you want good to come to you, you have to focus on good things. Focusing on bad attracts bad energy to you. Think "birds of a feather..." You have to change your perception and seize your life. Make it what you want it to be.

For me, I'm looking forward, and I'm positive. I'm inspired. I'm dedicated. I'm hopeful.

It's going to be a new year indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment