Wednesday, April 8, 2009

It Ain't 15 Minutes of FAME but 14:59 is Pretty Close...


So as Syraaj (The Alpha Male) and I were being the sweetest couple ever while lying in bed sending electronic data back and forth through our laptops, (Yeah, we're that lame) we came up With the idea of creating our own magazine. I guess technically it'd be an E-Zine. I digress.


The idea that the advent of technology has allowed us to become self-made celebrities. YouTube alone attracts millions of viewers who could, can, and do post daily accounts of their lives, memories, and random laughing German baby videos-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5P6UU6m3cqk. This little tidbit of cinematic history has attracted over 80 millions viewers alone.


As much as we progressive individuals like to think we are, I think a little kid in all of us want to be famous if even for a moment. Most people would take fame and prospective fortune over a lot of other "What's behind Door # 3 prize" .


While pondering these thoughts, Syraaj created the cover to the supposed magazine 'Polight Gestures' which features me giving him the middle-finger in a Photoshop-ed layover with notable magazine topics like "How many kids does Lara Croft have now?" and "Can dyslexic people read upside down?- We can't answer that".


I think it's absolutely hilarious and enormously fulfilling to watch people exploit themselves in the "YouTube, Google-It, Take a Video on my camera phone and Twitter you about it later" Culture we now drown in.


As I type, I can help but wonder if this blog itself in its self-righteous principles to uphold "Edward R. Murrow" standards of concrete journalism could be a little self-serving and 14:59 minutes of literary fame.


I Know...Isn't it Great?

No comments:

Post a Comment